The NCJLA requires every coach and assistant coach to complete certifications specific to the age group they will coach.
Coaches wear “NCJLA Certified Coach” cards while at the field for games.
All Coaches must complete:
1. US Lacrosse Membership (3-5 minutes. Use this form. The Club will get your membership for you annually.)
2. Background Check (3-5 minutes. USL membership will initiate your coach background check via email annually.)
3. Sign the Coaches Code of Conduct (3-5 minutes. One time.)
4. Concussion Certification (30-45 minutes. Annually.)
5. Age Level NCJLA Rules Test (30-45 minutes. Annually.)
10U and 8U coaches may skip to item 7.
6. US Lacrosse Coaches Education: Level 1 (2-3 hours, if coaching 14U or 12U. One time. USL Level 1 includes the PCA course in next item 7.)
14U and 12U coaches complete item 7 as part of USL Level 1. 10U and 8U coaches should too, but must complete item 7.
7. PCA online course or workshop (1 hour, one time, included in USL Level 1 course)
The process is self-paced and can be done in pieces. In total the courses take around 5 hours, or longer for in person workshops.
Requirements are fully described in the NCJLA Operations Guide, excerpts are below.
2. Cleared Background Check
Must be renewed annually. When the club gets your US Lacrosse membership you will receive an email to initiate your background check through US Lacrosse and the National Center for Safety Initiatives (NCSI). Visit http://www.ncsisafe.com/ to initiate the background check.
3. Signed Coaches Code of Conduct
One Time Requirement. Sign, scan or photograph, and send the signature page to the Tomahawks Club Manager.\
4. Concussion Certification
Must be renewed every year. Successfully complete the online concussion and head injury education offered by the Center of Disease Control.
Please note that the NCJLA makes modifications to the NFHS and USL rules annually. The test answers are based on the official rules for USL and NFHS and may not match the rules used in NCJLA games. Please refer to the Boys Girls Rules Sheets for the most up to date rules that will be used in games.
6. US Lacrosse Coaches Education: Developing Individual Athletes or Level 1
One Time Requirement. Mandatory for those coaching 14U and 12U, 10U and 8U coaches are also strongly encouraged to complete the US Lacrosse Level 1 Online Course, focused on the game as a whole to provide a general knowledge base to coaches. This will require an active US Lacrosse Membership.
7. PCA Online Course Or In-Person Workshop
One Time Requirement. It's the “Double Goal Coach: Coaching for Winning and Life Lessons.” If you complete the USL Level 1 course in Item 2 above you will complete this (for free.) If you are currently coaching High School you are exempt from the USL Level 1 requirement, but should complete the PCA standalone course separately. If you are coaching 10U or 8U and are choosing not to complete the US Lacrosse Level 1, you will still need the PCA course. The Club will reimburse you. You are also welcome and encouraged to complete the USL Level 1 course, which incurs no additional expense to the club.
Forward certificates of completion to the Club Manager. Emailing a pdf or photo or screenshot is fine.
We reimburse for PCA and US Lacrosse Coaching certifications and we get your US Lacrosse membership for you. The background check takes a few weeks, and doing the courses will take 3-5 hours. PCA and the Level 1 take the longest but are one time requirements.